Tuesday, June 12, 2012

W/E project.

Let me begin by saying, "Weekend project my 3rd leg!!!"

Any sewer/quilter/knitter/weaver/crafter with a modicum of experience knows that when a pattern promises that you can complete a project in a weekend, they are assuming that your weekend starts when you get home on Friday night, ends very late on Sunday evening, and that you do nothing between the two than WORK ON YOUR PROJECT.

That said, I didn't expect this little table runner to take 3 weeks to complete!
Understand, there was nothing wrong with the instructions --  they were well-written, concise, and easy to understand.  Every part went together easily.  The problem was mine.  My life is sometimes complicated.  Even my days off are rarely [read: VERY rarely] labor-free.  So, an entire weekend to cut, stitch, quilt and bind, even something small, simply wasn't to be.  Still  -- it was a very pleasant 3 weeks!




I was inspired by this project from the Summer 2012 issue of Stitch.  Stitch is a fun new-to-me magazine that features full instructions and patterns for fun, quirky projects for person, home, pets, and gifts.  In each issue there are garments, decor, practicalities, and great, great ideas.  As soon as I saw this table runner, I wanted to make it.  However, when I sorted through my stash to find bright, bold fabrics with which to duplicate the runner they had made, I found this collection of strong, Fall-like fabrics that I had won in a raffle at my local quilt club.  I love the way the colors worked with each other.  I only had to buy the solid  to complete the project.  I chose a very pale muted yellow by Moda.  I thought that the yellow would contrast nicley with the reds in the prints.






There was nothing tricky about construction.  Follow the instruction given, checking your work as you go, and it assembles easily, even though, at some points it's hard to see where this is going.  [I wish I had taken more pictures of the process.  mea culpa.]

If I had a complaint, it would be that while the pattern is reversible (as promised), once it is quilted, I only like the way the quilting looked on the 'diamond' side.  Maybe a more subtle quilting stitch would have made me feel different, but, I am very happy with the results anyway.  I didn't really require that it be reversible.  If I decide I am tired of looking at it, as is  --  I can always whip up another table runner some weekend  .  .  .

2 comments:

  1. Nice little (3) weekend project! I always laugh at those claims - that and the "one hour" patterns. Seriously?? Even I don't sew that fast...
    The fabrics you chose are nice together, and I can see them working well in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    It does provide a nice, cheery note!

    ReplyDelete