Thursday, November 18, 2010

Work in Progress

I've been outside of the sewing loop lately. Other aspects of my life have commanded my attention.
For the skirt I recently made (post of 17 Sept 2010), I sewed a casual bamboo knit top to go with it for casual/business casual events (post of 19 Sept 2010), but I wanted something more dressy also. A beautiful coral silk habutai that I bought from Thai Silks (http://thaisilks.com) at Expo this past March (post of 9 March 2010) is just the thing. It's not finished yet, but there is some progress:






It is all cut out of Vogue 8322, and interfacing - a medium-weight knit - is fused.










Buttons have been purchased that are so attractive as to serve for jewelry. [What was the thinking, here? I love getting new jewelry! Maybe it was that the coral-coloured stones on the buttons are fake. I should never wear real coral, as its production necessitates the destruction of a delicate biome, and I never wear fake jewelry, as -- why should I? -- my husband buys me the real stuff.]




Both machines are cleaned, oiled, have new needles and are threaded. Wait a minute -- both machines???? Since I am sewing a fine, drapey silk, oughtn't I construct with French seams instead of the serger???
















Review post of 27 Sept 2009 for the answer.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've visited here. Clicked on from YardSeller and think you have a great site. I sew but not with the finesse you do. Reading down on a couple of the other blogs, found them very imformative and interesting. Love the "quality control" expert. Hope you don't mind if I follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely things you say! I certainly don't mind if you follow my blog -- that's why I write it!
    I might also suggest you check out my oldest daughter's blog (http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot.com).
    Katie is a much more prolific sewist and more frequent blogger than I.
    If your tastes run to knitting, and gourmet cooking, my youngest daughter has an interesting blog (http://varinascostume.blogspot.com)
    Pardon me for bragging, but my little blog pales in comparison to theirs'!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Thanks, Mom!

    Pretty buttons, and yummy silk!! I hope you like the pattern - I can't wait until I can wear mine! Myra should have a top to match you, oh tomorrow maybe. I finally cut into the bamboo knit, and had plenty for a long sleeve tee for her, and there should still be enough for a dress in the spring. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Myra and I shall be twins!
    she is going to love wearing the comfortable, snuggly-soft bamboo, and you are going to love caring for it -- I haven't managed to stain mine despite many sloppy BBQ lunches!

    ReplyDelete