Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cutie Pattotie Birthday duds!



Happy Birthday Emma Rose!

I have not seen Emma since Christmas, when she was just 5 months old, so I had to do some wild guessing as to size, color/style preferences, etc.
Ottobre, and my local quilt shop, The Whistling Chicken, helped a lot!!!






When I saw this adorable ensemble in the Summer 2009 issue, I knew I wanted to make it.








It was in the size range that I guess Emma to be, so I only had to find fabric coordinates. Not a problem!!!!!





Carthage's local quilt shop is just lousy with beautiful cotton muslins (perfect for quilt-making, n'est pas?) that I thought would make this up beautifully. The toughest part was narrowing down the selection to only 3 fabrics. When I saw these, I loved the way the severe brown worked with he girly-pink, and the juxtaposition of preppy plaid, mod flower-power, and sweet tiny calico.

I added only lace to the brim of the hat. A girl's gotta have a touch of lace!

I love the Ottobre designs, and the construction methods. A word of warning: Ottobre assumes a level of experience somewhat higher than does most American pattern instructions. They aren't necessarily difficult, but they don't hold your hand through every step. If you are a beginner, you might want to have a more seasoned sewist on stand-by to help interpret.
But don't let that stop you from trying!

I shall post pictures of Emma Rose wearing her new birthday suit, as soon as someone takes them and E-Mails them to me. Ahem!!!!~

1 comment:

  1. Adorable!! I LOVE the little detail above the pant legs - totally didn't even notice it in the magazine photo. If Myra ever wore pants... Darn girlie princess.

    ReplyDelete