Monday, September 30, 2013

FINIS! (finally!!!)

OR:  why my next several quilting projects will be MUCH smaller.

This began as a "Mystery Quilt" retreat at my local quilt shop, Needle Me This.   Intended to teach quilting skills, it didn't take long for me to learn something about myself:  I don't like working on a project and not knowing my goal.  For me, "Mystery Quilting" is a bad idea.   This is no fault of the teachers or their excellent written instructions.  The step-by-step guide, augmented with sketches, was well-written, and did not miss any needed steps.  I  followed along, and achieved the desired results.  I just felt uneasy the whole time, not knowing if I was on the right track, or not.  Had their been a picture of the finished project, I would had caught on quicker, and enjoyed myself more.  That would, however, have defeated the purpose of the "mystery".  So, I learned something useful about myself.  Mission accomplished!

This quilt began with cutting fabric into 5 in squares, and those squares being sewn into a 4-patch of precise order.








Each of 120 4-patches was then sub-cut, and re-arranged, then re-sewn to make a pinwheel.










Then, each (of 120) pinwheels was sub-cut into 9 tiny squares, some of which were re-arranged, then re-sewn to make  a diamond, surrounded by bars.

Then, the newly re-designed squares were sewn together in a precise arrangement to make  a larger 4-patch which featured diamonds and crossed lines that resemble an Argyle plaid.









Fascinating as this was, I was starting to lose interest in the whole project.  Plus, looking at those tiny squares, diamonds, and bars was making me bleary-eyed.  And this process was to be continued until it was Queen-sized???  Not by this quilting queen!

So, I decided to let my creative juices flow!  With feedback from hubby, and daughter, I quit sub-cutting the pinwheel-squares (having made 120 of them assembly-line style), and sewed them together for a boarder.  then I added strips of batiks whose colors went with those all ready used, and repeated this process until I had pieced a Queen/King sized top. [reducing a process that may well have taken months, into 3 days]






                                     Ta da!!!




How do you like it?  As soon as the backing fabric (a cream and cafe-au-lait batik) I have ordered arrives, it is off to a friend with a long-arm quilter, to be quilted, then I shall bind it, and be completely done.  For now, I feel that most of my work is done, so I am finished.  Whew!!

One more thing:  I didn't realize it, until it was done, and hung for the pictures, but there is a major flaw in it.  At least, it is obvious to me.  No one else I have asked can find it, so I am disinclined to rip out 1000+ stitches and re-do it.  But, I am wondering if someone else might see it??

Ergo, I propose a contest:   to the first one of my eagle-eyed readers who finds, and can describe to me the flaw, I will give one whole piece of fabric from my stash of his/her choosing.  (from among the considerable array of choices I will make available). 

And now, I am off to cut out some clothes to make!!




3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura!
      Right now, it is gracing the bottom half of a wall on the stair's landing.
      Soon, it's going to go to the quilter's.
      Soon. I hope. Soon.

      Delete
  2. I love the job of being your fabric..
    to get fabric on demand from weaveron textile.

    ReplyDelete